The Kaukauna City Dam is located on the Fox River and was constructed along with one unit of the powerhouse in 1940. Due to the war and lack of materials, the second unit wasn’t added until 1942.
The total length of the dam is 2,680 feet. From left to right looking downstream, the project structures consist of the left headrace wall, powerhouse, non-overflow dam, double tainter gate section, and overflow dam. The left headrace wall is constructed of rubble masonry with a concrete face and cap. A portion of this wall has been rebuilt as a mass concrete structure near the powerhouse. This wall has also had fill placed on the landward side to increase stability and reduce freeze-thaw action.
The right non-overflow dam (forebay wall) is also constructed of rubble masonry faced with concrete and is built on one of the many low islands in the river at the site. This wall contains three old sluiceways from the original plant that have been sealed.
The spillways at the site consist of two tainter gates and ungated overflow sections. Two 30-foot-wide by 8.8-foot-high tainter gates are located at the right end of the (east) non-overflow dam. Approximately 2,260 feet of dam are designed as overflow sections. These overflow sections vary from ogee sections about 10 feet high to low walls about 6 inches high. The sections are reinforced concrete and are doweled into the rock foundation.
The powerhouse is a reinforced concrete structure with a brick superstructure. The superstructure of the powerhouse is 92 feet wide by 86 feet deep. The superstructure of the powerhouse is structural steel and brick and contains two vertical 3,300-HP, adjustable blade Kaplan turbines connected to two 2,400kW generators. The powerhouse consists of an integral intake, turbine pit, draft tubes and tailrace.
Water levels for the upstream pool are controlled by adjustment of the tainter gates on the dam and wicket gates on the turbines.