Be safe and have a plan
The Electrical Safety Foundation International's list of Top 10 Fire and Electrical Safety Tips.
Source: Electrical Safety Foundation International
- Avoid dangerous shocks and electrical fires by keeping liquids, including drinks, away from computers and other electrical devices.
- Never play with electrical cords, light sockets, or electrical outlets.
- Never yank on the cord to unplug an appliance – hold the plug instead.
- Keep space heaters at least three feet away from anything that can burn.
- Never leave a space heater on when you leave the room or go to sleep.
- Have working smoke alarms on every level of your home, inside each bedroom, and outside each sleeping area.
- Test smoke alarms monthly.
- Prepare for a fire emergency by creating a fire escape plan for your home and classroom.
- In case of a fire, get out first and then call 911 from a cell phone or a neighbor's house.
- Once you are out, stay out! Never go back inside a burning building.